Monday, September 21, 2009

Hw 5- More Letters, Its Important

Respose to Ian and Sam:
I'm not sure if anyone thinks about this but really everything is a big circle when it comes to technology. No matter how many different types of phones there are, a phone is still a phone. The numbers are the same the purpose for the phone is pretty much the same. So why you ask do we buy more of the same old crap?

Because, we think we need it of course. It's simple, if one has the knowledge that there is something new and "better" then your mind automatically disregards that you basically have the same piece of plastic already.

You are scared of going back, you feel like you're in the past if you don't upgrade. If don't update your sidekick you feel old. Get it? I just figured this thought out completely just now as I wrote this post.

So even if you do have a piece of modern technology, and something else comes out what you have is old, what you have is in the past so we continue to need more.

Now, if there were to be a complete halt in technology, yes the world would continue to spin on its axis, yes your text inbox will still be full and yes your ipod will still charge at night. But people will wonder what's next. We are already in this pattern of getting something new when something gets "old".

So if nothing came out people might panic. I actually think that people will have more of an appreciation for what you already have and you won't mindlessly buy the same thing over and over again just because it has a new name.

Response to Francesca:

Thanks for the comment, I like how you think its important to proof read. I rarely do so myself.

I think that it is important during this unit to actually accept that being digital is something that a lot of us rely on. So I won't say that being digital is completely hurting us as you say but I think it a matter of balancing how much you use your whatnots and gadgets.

But your comment actually helped me to further my thinking about how we are so amazed with flat 2-D images. I think that you make a good point here. For humans we seem to be amazed with the simplest and yet the most expensive of things.

So here we are these "advanced" people that have this wild obsessive fascination with these small simple things that somehow end up controlling our lives. Why do you think this is? Why do we need these little things?

No comments:

Post a Comment