Sunday, December 27, 2009

Hw- 31 All Answers Are Confidential

When asking people about their style or the reasons they are the way they are you need to be cautious. You don't want to look like the enemy and you don't want to look like a nosy a**hole either. Play the field... Be cool.

The person that I interviewed in many ways was 'stereotypical' let's call him John Smith, no relation to the Caucasian Disney 'savior'. Mr. Smith to me had a style that I have seen on many teenage boys a million times. Skinny jeans, just low enough to see his Family Guy boxers, his hair cut low (what I later learned was a dark Cesar) I asked him where he bought his clothes from. He said that he shopped wherever 'they' sold his clothes. Smith later gave specifics, H&M seemed to be the
main store. I asked him why he bought what he bought. He said he buys what he buys because it's what he likes.

I felt that I wasn't getting anywhere with Mr. Smith. I didn't want to sound too rude or too into him business but I think I needed it. I asked if he knew of any people that dressed like him. I was expecting him to say that he was the one that invented his style and that he was the one that perfected it to it's current 'wonderful-ness' but Mr. Smith said that his style was every ones style.

It made me think about how there is a style that is given to the kids of this generation and then there are different cliques that take it and put their own spin on it. What's weird is that we know it.

But can we escape it?

Our styles are given to us and we take it for what it is. When I think about it everything about everything is kind of unoriginal. We look up to rappers, singers, bands, actors and actresses. We take catch phrases from movies and we like brand named jackets

Who are we really?

What just occurred to me was that we are okay with the things that are given to us. It bothers me but at the same time I'm okay with it. I can't really say that 'I know who I am' because at 17 I don't think that anyone could really know who they are or what they really want. We are still trying to figure out what we wanna be and what the definition of love is or our sexuality.


I bet society has a cure for teen angst as well.


While my mind was bouncing off the walls in sure that Mr. Smith was thinking about the price of his next plaid shirt.


As for me I think that partly who I am comes from what I listen to ad what I watch. I think that I wear what I wear because I think it most fits my style and it matches the motto 'this is how I want to look' I feel like people change too quickly in order to pin point what we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment