Saturday, December 5, 2009

Hw 27 What Do You Think?

Everyone has their own views about what it means to be cool. Some or even most are influenced by what other people think is cool. I feel that being cool is something that should matter so much. Everyone has different tastes and different views yet "cool" is something that seems to somehow sparks up an argument. But then again we all feel the need to change each others minds as we see fit.

I asked 3 people what cool meant to them. I was warned that I was going to get fairly similar answers and most people probably don't really think deeply, they say whatever comes to mind. These are the answers I got from strangers:

1. Not sure
2. Trendy
3. Hip
4. Current
5. Humorous
6. Relevant
7. Not warm...
8. In touch

After a while I started to think that cool meant having something that other people admire. For instance alot of people listed qualities that they thought might be cool in a person on certain things that make people cool according to them. But that made me wonder, if they were listing their own qualities or the qualities of what they want to be. Is cool something that we are trying to reach? Does that mean that those who think they are cool have reached that level of self like that they admire? does that mean that "cool" people don't think that other people are cool?

There are questions that one could ask about this all night and still not be satisfied. My mom said these things:

Me: What does being cool mean to you?

Mom: That you listen and don't judge that you're open to different things?

Me: Who's cool?

Mom: Kat Williams, I got to meet him and he was really chill. He was concerned about his fans and he ate dinner with us and.

Me: What are qualities that make people cool?

Mom: If they are famous, being down to earth makes them cool. Being able to blend. And if it is someone not famous then they should be open.

It looks like a person who is cool for the most part listens, trendy and down to earth. I think that those are qualities that most people can find easily. To me I don't think people really think deeply about what it means to be cool at all. Since the question is so unusual no one really expect it. It's like their IM box is lagging when it comes to this question. Their hard drive has crashed for a little while, and then its back on track with generic answers.

As for insights on living. I honestly don't think I will be able to find someone in my family like that. I don't think that they think much about how life works and what to expect. There are people in my family that I find cool but not the right "type" of cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment